Monday, September 10, 2012

Do you react or choose your response?

Just Own Yourself
 
So, there stood my two small darlings, only seven and eight years old at the time, side-by-side in front of the bathroom mirror.  I was behind them in the hallway, in a rush to get out of the house, becoming more impatient by the minute at their lack of understanding what "hurry!" meant.  Oh, how cute they were ... being silly, making faces at each other while brushing their teeth, their laughter and innocence a magical view to behold.  Except for this particular morning.  I was so caught up in my own little world, that all I could feel was my impatience and agitation growing faster than Jack's beanstalk on steroids.
 
I had just about enough of their un-cooperation, and was on the verge of blowing my stack, when my older son suddenly poked the younger one in the side and said, "Hey, watch, this is where mom loses it."

My jaw dropped to the carpet as I stood there completely immobilized.  It was one of those moments where time stood still and everything froze in place.  Was I really THAT predictable?!   

How sad.  Yet, what an AH-HA moment it was for me.  An awakening, one could say, for which I am most grateful.

My little sages not only taught me a grand lesson of patience, but that time was going to pass no matter what ... and did I want it to go by in a blur reacting to everything around me in haste, or would I instead choose to slow down and appreciate the "small things" that stood before me?   

Since that eye-opening morning many-many years ago, I've become mindful of choosing my response, rather than being a victim to stress or worry and reacting to a situation.  I also call this stepping atop my own personal watchtower.  By becoming the observer in my life and viewing things from a higher perspective, I've grown to be more accepting and patient with others as well as myself, and have also developed more compassion and understanding.  I will admit that it’s not always easy to make the climb, but it does get easier with time and practice. 

We might not have control over everything that happens, but we certainly have control over our response.  It's also about being "in the moment".  Actually, isn't that what patience is all about?  Not thinking ahead, not rushing time, just being in the now, the present moment – which is where the gift is.  I'm sure you're familiar with the saying:  "Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift – that's why they call it the present."

I encourage you to step atop your own personal watchtower and observe yourself over the next couple of days.  Whenever a challenging circumstance is troubling you, be it a disturbing event or person, or even your own darling children, literally envision a watchtower in your mind; climb the stairs to the top, then look down at whatever your situation at hand is with new vision.  I'd love to hear about your revelations; please share your feedback ... it just might be your unique observation that helps others to grow.  
Wishing you a week full of patience and discovery!

Peace and blessings to all,


~Victoria.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback - please leave a message and let me know you were here - thank you! =)